In 2005, the property, Kaniken 11, was taken over by the current owner who has devoted much effort to renovating and rebuilding the property to the hostage business currently being carried out.
In May 2006, we finally opened the hostel and the first guests were welcomed. Before that, the second floor was rented as a student residence and on the first floor there were a office space. Previously, the house has been an apartment building. The first floor was divided into two apartments and the second floor a large apartment.
There is not much documented history about the house but what we know is to read below.
The Kaniken 11
This area on Östermalm was used as church soil during the Catholic era, something that is reflected in the name of the streets. The house was built at the turn of the century and was the main building on the Kanikerukan country.
The builder is probably architect F A Wahlström. The building’s design reminiscent of the channel engineer’s residence in Hajstorp, and it was designed by Wahlström in 1902.
The framework of the house is made of brick with potted white-yellow facades and profiled window coverings with timely brown carpentry.
The history of the property
The name Kanikeruka means a home for a canyon, a member of the chapters, a judge. The church leaders in Skövde were also a great part of the Middle Ages in Skara.
In connection with the reformation in 1527, the property was transferred to the state and expired.
In the 1651 landregister there is nothing about Kanikerukan’s owner. But the cannons eventually got their followers. In 1672, the property of Nils Liljehök was held to Claestorp, Colonel Lieutenant at the Västgötska cavalry. Then Gustaf Rydingstjärna came to own Kanikerukan. He also owned Ryd and was governor in Gudhems, Kåkinds, Vilske and Valle härad.
Around 1725, the place had once again ended in priestly hands. Then, the resident Siberg, royal chief predictor and kyrkoherde lived in Skövde. Deputy owners include Alexander Löwensköld, deputy writer Adolf Loritz, baron Hans Christoffer Liljecreuts and Lieutenant Johan Gustaf Segerhjelm. During this time, Countess Beata Charlotta De la Gardie also lived as Segerhjelm’s mother-in-law at Kanikerukan.
Among the holders of the mid-19th centuries are Captain Lind, Lagman Rickert and Rådman Källberg. The known ownership of the property ends with the farmer Carl Fredrik Andersson, who died in 1891.