In 2005, the property, Kaniken 11, was taken over by the current owner, who has put a lot of effort into renovating and rebuilding the property into the hostel operations that are conducted today.
In May 2006, the gates to the hostel were opened and the first guests were welcomed. Prior to that, the second floor was rented out as student housing and on the first floor there were office space. Previously, the house functioned as an apartment building. The first floor was divided into two apartments and the second floor a large apartment.
There is not much documented history of the house but what we know can be read about below.
This area on Östermalm was church land during Catholic times, something that is reflected in street and neighborhood names. The house was built at the turn of the century and was then the main building on the land Kanikerukan or Kanikeruder. (Landeri is a word for built-up agricultural property located within a city’s donation land, ie land allocated by the state to the city)
The client is probably architect F A Wahlström. The building’s design language is reminiscent of the canal engineer’s home in Hajstorp and it was designed by Wahlström in 1902.
The frame of the house is made of brick with plastered white-yellow facades and profiled window frames with contemporary brown joinery.
The history of the property
The name Kanikeruka means dwelling for the canon, who was a member of the cathedral chapter, a choirmaster or pastor. During most of the Middle Ages, the pastors in Skövde were also canons in Skara.
In connection with the Reformation in 1527, the property was confiscated from the state and fell into disrepair.
The 1651 land register does not say anything about Kanikerukan’s owner, only “fate for many years”. But the Kaniks eventually got their successors. In 1672, the property was owned by Nils Liljehök to Claestorp, lieutenant colonel at Västgötska cavalry. After that, Gustaf Rydingstjärna came to own Kanikerukan. He also owned Ryd and was district chief in Gudhem, Kåkinds, Vilske and Valle districts.
Around the year 1725, the place had again fallen into priestly hands. The rector Siberg, royal court preacher and parish priest in Skövde then lived there. Subsequent owners include district chief Alexander Löwensköld, district clerk Adolf Loritz, baron Hans Christoffer Liljecreuts and lieutenant Johan Gustaf Segerhjelm. During this time, Countess Beata Charlotta De la Gardie, who was Segerhjelm’s mother-in-law, also lived on Kanikerukan.
The holders at the middle of the 19th century include Captain Lind, Lagman Rickert and Rådman Källberg. The known ownership of the property ends with farmer Carl Fredrik Andersson who died in 1891.